Wednesday, July 27, 2011

C25K: Week 5

Day 1:

I did it!

Today's assignment was to run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run 5 minutes. It was so hard, but I managed to make it through. During that last 5 minute interval I really had to push myself and give myself super pep talks. I think what helped me really get through it was the fact that my husband has started this program with me! Yay! He started Week 1 Day 1, and I am really proud.

Day 2:

Part 1:

I didn't do it today. Today's assignment was run 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 8 minutes. That's it. I ran the first 8 minutes. Boy was it hard. I walked the 5 minutes and ran 5.5 minutes of the second 8 minutes. I'm not as disappointed in myself as the first time I "failed," but I still feel a little disappointed. I went into this workout with very little motivation and a whole lot of fear. I kind of had a sad, defeated feeling before I even began, and I definitely don't feel any pride in what I have done so far. I used to, but I'm not sure what my problem is lately. I guess I am waiting for the part where I will actually start to enjoy this, but it hasn't happened yet.

Part 2: I did it! It was so hard! I did it though. I had a better attitude today and it seemed to help me do better.

Day 3:

I have been worried about this day for the entire program. This is the day where I am supposed to run for 20 minutes straight. 20 minutes!!! I have never run that much in my life! Come to think of it, I have never even run 8 minutes in a row in my entire life. I had a glimmer of hope that I could do this today, but I started to run and Mr. Negative Poopy Pants started getting the best of me. Here is what he had to say:

"My progress is simply not good enough. This is so slow! Why am I doing this to myself? I don't care if my clothes fit looser-they don't. I don't care if I feel good-I don't. I don't care about the potential health benefits. I want to lose weight. I want the number on the scale to go down. That's all I care about. I don't care that I've run for the longest amount of time I have ever run in my life. That doesn't matter to me. I don't want to feel this bad and see no results. I can sit on my behind and eat cake and feel just like this. I also don't want to hear to just keep at it and the results will happen. I just don't care. I want to be skinny."

So, you see? He's awful! With my teeny tiny glimmer of hope, I started to run. I thought, "It will be so good to post on facebook that I ran for 20 minutes! I've never done that in my life." I kept running. I thought, "Oh man, I'm not going to make this. Maybe just 15 minutes of running. That will still be more than I've ever done." So then I kept running and thought, "Maybe I can get to 9 minutes, walk for 4 and run for 7 minutes and slowly increase the first interval and decrease the others like run 10, walk 4, run 6 and then run 11, walk 3 and run 5, then run 12, walk 3 and run 4, then run 13, walk 3 and run 3, etc...." get it? Anyway, I kept running. Then I was at 7.5 minutes of running. Ha! It seemed to take FOREVER. So then I thought, "Okay, I just need to repeat a day 2." Well, I got to 8 minutes and started walking my 5 minutes. I kept thinking, "I'm just not into this today. I really don't feel like running another 8 minutes. I have to get ready for church. I'm not enjoying this. I'm so tired. I need sleep. I'm done. I better just quit and try again tomorrow."

On my walk back to my apartment I thought about trying to slowly ease into the 20 minutes. Finally as I was climbing the stairs I thought, "No. I'm just going to try again tomorrow for the 20 minutes. I'm just going to run as far as I can."

Hopefully tomorrow I can feel encouraged and motivated because this past week.....I haven't. :o(

No comments:

Post a Comment