Saturday, June 12, 2010

Home

I've decided that pregnancy and childbirth are easy compared to taking care of a newborn. I've never been good at handling sleep deprivation, so I think that is probably the most difficult part for me this week. Hopefully my hormones will get back in shape sooner rather than later. Other than lack of sleep, hormone adjustments, general discomfort, and the aches and pains associated with breastfeeding, things are going well. Lilian is the cutest thing ever. I wish there was a camera attached to my eyes and memories so I could just record and share the things that I see. She does too many cute things for me to grab my camera in time.

I'd like to give a shout out to my mom! She's amazing and I appreciate her more than ever now that I've had a baby. She stayed with us for a few days after Lilian's birth, and I really miss her now that she's gone back home. I wish we would have taken pictures with her and Lilian. All I have are pictures of her holding Lilian, but you can't really see her.

I also miss the midwives who cared for my during my pregnancy and delivery. I never realized how much I looked forward to my visits with them during my pregnancy and how attached I got to them. I know they have so many patients and probably don't remember me, but they have become an important part of my life. I'll never forget them! Titi was always honest with me about my weight gain and told it how it was. She inspired me more than anyone to maintain a healthy weight, exercise, and eat a healthy diet. I am happy to report that the habits I picked up during pregnancy are, so far, staying with me. I did indulge in a few things after the birth, but at this point, I don't want any junk food if I can help it. Dawn helped me through a really stressful time during my pregnancy by teaching me about what she called "creative budgeting." She also encouraged me to turn to my family, which for some reason, I am always scared to do. I went to my appointment with her feeling like a "pathetic loser" (which I called myself in front of her) and she went all mom on me! :o) I feel like we have been able to get things back on track after her help with calming me down and a little encouragement about life. How often do you gain life skills by going to an appointment with a health provider? And finally, Debbie delivered the baby. She was there during the most memorable and amazing event in my life. She was actually the first to guess that Lilian was a girl when we sneaked an early ultrasound for Robbie to see. I'm really glad that I get to see her one more time at my six week check-up. I would have never guessed that I would miss them so much. I hope that at least one, if not all, of them are still there for our next babies. I don't think I could ever use any other health care provider for pregnancy now that I've gone through this one with them.

I wanted to post some pictures with this post, but our internet is acting very slow right now. I'll have to do that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment