Sunday, September 4, 2011

15 Months of Breastfeeding

Yes. Yes, I am. I am breastfeeding a toddler.

And you know what? I LOVE this age! The past three months have been glorious and so very cute in our breastfeeding relationship. I love how she tells me when she wants to nurse by climbing in my lap and assuming the position. I love how she makes biscuits while she nurses. I love how she tickles my side. I love how she checks to see if her other boobie is still there. I love how she tousles her own hair while she is nursing to sleep. I love how that oxytocin rush still calms me down and makes me happy if we are both feeling a little stressed out. I love how we got our latch back on track since the last time I wrote about breastfeeding (at 12 months) and we have not had any problems since then.

Robbie still mentions weaning, but if he sees that she is just begging to nurse he'll say, "Give her niiiiinie. That's all she wants!" Mixed signals much?

I will say that a few days ago, I was taking a medication (only for the day) which meant that I couldn't nurse her. This was my first experience of pumping and dumping, and let me tell you, watching that liquid gold pour down the sink broke my heart. Back to my point. That morning, when she assumed the position for her morning ninnie, I had to gently tell her no. It just absolutely broke her heart and she cried and cried. I think it broke Robbie's heart even more! He can tell how much she loves it.

I keep teasing and saying I'll probably have to go to college with her. :o)

I know that's not true, but seriously, it's totally not true. She will wean at an appropriate time, when she is ready. Until then, my baby girl will continue to receive all the awesome benefits that breastmilk has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment