Tuesday, August 9, 2011

C25K: Repeating week 5, Day 3

You may recall that week 5 kicked my behind so I decided to repeat it. I thought I might spend an entire week on each day, but I ended up spending two days on both Day 1 and Day 2. Today was the first day I attempted Day 3.

Day 1:

This week I am spending the week at my mom's house. Even though I am on vacation, I did not want to take an entire week off from my program. We all packed up early this morning and drove to North Park where I ran the track. This was the first time I attempted to run for 20 minutes straight and it was the first time I have tried to run outside.

Needless to say, I did not succeed at running 20 minutes in a row. I ran for 10 minutes though! I am not sure the last time I did that, or if I have ever run 10 minutes in a row in my entire life. I am proud of myself for even getting off my behind while on vacation in the first place. It was also very different feeling the sun beat down on my skin. It really felt like it was burning! I suppose I could have pushed myself a little longer, but I really did not have much confidence to begin with. After I walked a lap, I decided to sprint a few times. Just cuz I felt like it. I ran as fast as I could for one straight-away and it felt really good! I liked to push my muscles, and I really liked that it was only going to last for a few seconds. I walked the curve and then sprinted the other straight-away. Yes! I like this! However, that was about all I could do before my knee started killing me.

I haven't mentioned it, but my knee has been hurting for several weeks now. I'm not sure what the problem is, and it is not getting any better. My calves no longer bother me anymore, so I am hoping that my knee just needs to get used to what I am doing to it. We'll see. I don't want to let it stop me!

Day 2:

Yesterday I took a day off and got on a running forum to see if I could find some pointers for accomplishing the 20 minute jog. I learned that I should slow down, take it 5 minutes at a time, and buy some new shoes with good support to help with me knee. I bought the shoes, I slowed down, and I thought "Just one more lap!" and I DID IT! I jogged for 20 minutes straight for the first time in my life today. It was great. I feel so accomplished and empowered. I think I am finally becoming hooked on this because I keep thinking about the next time I GET to run instead of HAVE to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment