In my infinite wisdom of being a parent for eight months, I have learned a few things about infant sleep.
1. Interrupted sleep is like poop. It happens.
2. Before you have your baby, expect sleepless nights followed by sleepless days, followed by sleepless nights, followed by sleepless...days....followed by....sleep...mmmm....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
3. Whatever you do, do NOT look at the clock at night. Just. Don't. Do. It.
4. If your baby is not sleeping through the night by the time she is two weeks old, there is definitely something wrong with her. At least, that's what people will lead you to believe.
5. If your baby is not sleeping through the night at two weeks old, one month old, two months old, eight months old, you, your baby, your cat, dog, ferret and grandma are just fine and perfectly normal!
6. Your baby is not worried that she's not sleeping through the night. In fact, she's probably perfectly happy about it.
7. If you decide that CIO (Cry it out) Methods are right for you and your family, you are NOT a bad mom or dad. However, expect to second guess yourself about your decision over and over again.
8. If you decide that CIO Methods are NOT right for you and your family, you are NOT a bad mom or dad. However, expect to second guess yourself about your decision over and over again.
9. It is not about the amount of hours you sleep at night. It's about how you feel when you wake up. If you feel okay, you got and are getting enough sleep. #3 will help with this.
10. "They" were right. Sleep when your baby sleeps.
11. Cherish these moments because they will not last forever. My baby is only (already!!!) 8 months old and it is going by way too quickly.
12. Remember, everyone has bad days. Everyone gets cranky. That goes for you, your dog, and your baby. Sometimes your baby just won't be able to sleep. It's okay! You'll get through it. You really will.
13. Nugget of wisdom from Hank Hill, "Babies do weird things. Babies are weird." This is especially true of infant sleep. Babies just do not have the same sleep patterns as adults. Oh well. One day, your baby will be an adult.
14. The bigger deal you make out of sleep, or lack thereof, the worse it feels. It's really okay! Whenever your baby starts sleeping through the night is wonderful!!!!
15. Go ahead, repeat after me, "I am a good mom/dad. I am a good mom/dad. I am a good mom/dad. I am a good mom/dad. I am a GREAT mom/dad!"