Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Life with an almost 6 week old


I never knew how much you could love until I had a baby! My little girl is the most precious thing I've ever laid eyes on in my life, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father let us keep her! There was a time early in my pregnancy that I was terrified that I was going to lose her.

It's kind of been a bumpy ride trying to get to know my Lily. I feel sorry for her that she has a dunderhead for a mother, but I guess that's better than nothing. I think what I haven't figured out yet is how to help her to get to sleep. I can finally tell when she fusses due to being tired, but just because something helped her fall asleep one time doesn't mean it will work the next time! I haven't figured out the magic formula, and I haven't figured out how to help her tell the difference between night and day. She quickly outgrew swaddling. She likes a loose one with her arms hanging out. It doesn't matter if we rock her; she tends to wake right up when we quit! Nursing her SOMETIMES works. She hates a pacifier. She LOVES sleeping with her mommy, though, and that would work every time. But I'm too scared to sleep with her in my bed, so I have a little bassinet right next to the bed. The couple of times that I've "accidentally" slept with her were the best for both of us. I'm not nearly as opposed to it as my husband is, but I don't want to do anything he's not comfortable with either. I just don't know what to do yet. When she finally gets to sleep, I feel like I just got lucky.

Something else I worry about...is my baby getting enough to eat???? I sent my husband out to buy a scale, so he finally came home with one tonight. As soon as she wakes up again, I'm going to weigh her! According to her poopy diapers, she's getting enough, but I don't know if she's gaining weight. I'll see soon enough.

Now I know she gets cuter every day, so there is no shortage of picture taking. Here is the latest.


1 comment:

  1. You are doing so great! Quit stressing! You are giving her attention and food, she will be fine. It really does get easier- I promise!
    The first few months of Wyatt's life, he would wake up when we set him down so we decided to take shifts, because we all needed sleep. One shift was 10-2 and the other was 2-6. One of us would stay up and tend to Wyatt, even if that meant holding him while he slept! Eventually, Wyatt figured out his own schedule. We've also had to make a few trips around the block to get him to fall asleep. I hope this helps you!

    ReplyDelete