Tuesday, December 20, 2011

More Christmas Preparations

I have been having a difficult time feeling the Christmas spirit this season, but I may be getting closer to feeling it. I think it is similar to feeling like I can't possibly do anything special for Valentine's Day because I love my husband all the time.

After attending my dear friend's birth, I drove home on Friday last week. That night Robbie, Lily and I did a little Christmas shopping and Saturday we spent all day Christmas shopping. I know presents and shopping isn't the reason for the season, but it helps to do those things that we traditionally do at Christmas. And shopping is a part of Christmas whether I like to admit it or not.

It has been at LEAST five years since Robbie and I bought each other a Christmas present. I know we started the tradition of only getting our family presents way before we got married and we have been married for over three years now. Since we have been married, we have never exchanged gifts. I'll admit, I got a little tired of that this year. I really wanted to get him something and he felt the same. We already "did Christmas" for each other, and exchanged our gifts already. Now we can focus on doing something nice for our families. We are still of very modest means, so we can't go out and buy huge presents like my step-brothers can. They always seem to see who can buy the bigger, better gift while I am stuck crocheting scarves or making gifts of some sort. I try to at least make something meaningful since we have a modest budget.

While I was still at my Mom's I was able to help her with her Christmas tree. We went to Wal-Mart to buy decorations and she asked, "What colors should we do this year?"

"Really?" I asked. "Purple and Gold of course!" LSU colors.

My mom picked out all the purple and gold decorations she wanted and we started to head back to the craft section to gather a few more supplies for the birth I would be attending that night. On the way to the section I noticed a really funny game.


Yes! Yes there is. There really is a game called Doggie Doo and I must have it! Somebody get it for me!!! Ha ha ha!

So that night I did nothing but try to sleep as I prepared to attend the birth. We never had a chance to decorate the tree beforehand. After the birth, we decorated the tree.

Lily really wanted to help somehow, so my mom, Lily and I came up with a little system. Mimi (my mom) would hand Lily a decoration and I let her hand it to me and I would place it on the tree. We had to do it this way so Lily wouldn't try to eat any hooks. My child likes to eat anything sharp and pokey.

Step 1: Mimi hands decoration to Lily

Step 2: Lily hands decoration to Mommy

Step 3: Pyran (my dad) teases Lily with a decoration

Step 4: Lily gives Pyran a dirty look for teasing

Step 5: Tada! Finished tree

The next day, Lily and I drove back home. We always like to make a stop half way at a certain Raisin' Cane's that I like. Lily loves the Cane's sauce and who could blame her?


As we get closer to the actual day, I hope that I can feel the spirit of Christmas more and more. There have been several bumps in the road, especially today, that I hope I can overcome. We shall see. In case I don't make it back until after Christmas, Merry Christmas, Y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment